Sunday, December 21, 2014

Writing Class Version 6 (final)

So here we are. The class has been completed and below is my final version. Unless of course someone reads it and finds another mistake, which I may or may not choose to do anything with. No italics this time, just the story..

It was high school senior week, which gave you the freedom to come and go around your final exam schedule. At the time, I normally lived with my foster mother on her farm during the week. But I spent most weekends at my mother’s house, some 20 miles away. On one unusual weekday morning I awoke at my mothers and asked a simple question that started a sequence of events that would rattle my world. But, of course I still claim total innocence!

I didn’t have a car yet and my question was, “could I drive you to work and then go on to the farm?” “That would be ok”, she said. I really believe there was an assumption on her part, that I would be leaving the car at the farm and taking a bus on to school. I didn’t do that of course and instead drove to school and parked in the lot, knowing about the rule of NO student cars allowed. After all I’m a senior, what could they do?

After taking my tests, I drove a friend home, which took me off my normal route to the farm. While maneuvering a slight left bend in the road, which dipped over a small stream, a car coming in the opposite direction had taken the turn too wide. As if in slow motion, it scrapped down the entire length of my car making a metallic screeching sound as it proceeded on its path. Equally slow, I could envision my entire future fading away in front of me. Fortunately, for me, it was still drivable, so after exchanging the necessary information; I headed for my mother’s. Upon arriving I saw her rushing from the house in an absolute rage. I stood there wondering what could possibly be so wrong, she certainly hadn’t seen the other side of the car yet.

Unknown to me, the school had found the car and for some reason reported it as being stolen to the state police. They, in turn, had notified some federal agency because it had a parking permit for the Veterans hospital where my mother worked. She was then notified, that they had found her stolen car.

She ranted on and on about the embarrassment of being called by both the state police and her supervisor. She then gave me the added bonus that I had been suspended from school. At a point when the tension seemed to be easing, she simply asked, “it just can’t get any worse, can it?” Remembering the accident and looking down at my feet, I told her that it really could and suggested she go out and take a closer look at the car.

No comments: