Thursday, November 4, 2010

Oh man - woman vs. man? - Again

So I think I should follow-up on a previous post. Things in the house hold have settled down to a dull mummer, but with a little understanding and smiles on our faces.

But, now the challenge; I need to figure out exactly what the situation with the refrigerator is. The question is, are you always sure that the light goes out when you close the door and how do you test to make sure that it does? After some investigation, I figured that I could rig some sort of wiring inside and have wires come out through the molding in the door. Then I could measure with a meter to see if in face the power to the lights is staying on or going off. I'm sure that you've heard of Rube Goldberg and this would be one of those. So I kept thinking.

What if I take a camera with a timer on it and put it inside the refrigerator, wait until the time runs out and then retrieve the camera. If there is a picture of the bottle of milk, the light was on. If it's a black image the light is off. So, now I go and get my fancy DSLR and check for a timer function. There is none. :-(. Not being deterred though, I go in pursuit of my wife's point and shoot, figuring that a more consumer oriented camera would certainly have this feature. Well, I figured wrong. :-( A friend last night told me that his camera has a timer and that I could borrow it.

So, I hop in the car this morning to go and get it. The car won't start! An unkind thought has just entered my mind... Speaking of timers, did I mention that we now have to set a timer for our dishwasher for 18 minutes? You see, that's when it’s supposed to dispense the soap. It doesn't! :-( We manually open the door and pour in the soap.

As a side note here: The refrigerator is a Kenmore (made by LG) and is a piece of crap! The dishwasher is Kenmore. Do you get a trend here?

Oh well, these times shall pass or so someone that didn't have all these problem with STUFF once said....

You have a nice day now.. :-)

5 comments:

Uncle Ron said...

Tommy...

Here's what you do to test the light in the frig...Open the door...Then close the door... but not all the way...When it is about shut the light should go off (mine does this)...If the light goes off...then you don't have to drive to your friend's house to borrow his camera with the self timer on it...If stays on...(better get the camera)

hehe

Tommy said...

Thanks, for that wonderful tibit of wisdom. :-)

Unfortunately, I tried as you suggested but the door gaskets come together before the light goes out. Thus, you can't see inside at that point.

However, I bribed my friend with an invite to have dinner at our house last night and he brought the camera. Remember no car until Monday when I get it towed to our Honda dealer. It was funny because, he sat on the couch for about 10 minutes looking for the timer function and of course he didn't have the manual with him. Anyway, bottom line, we took the picture and it was totally black. :-) The light went out.

Now, if I could only figure out how to get the replacement part for this refrigerator. I went on-line and it sort of shows the door latch, but not really. I don't think that I can buy the piece I need. Guess it's time for the 800 number to Sears...

Uncle Ron said...

I'm glad you resolved that problem...

Wheeeeee...

You had me worried there for a moment...

:>]

(I used to have an '88 Honda Accord...One of the best cars I ever bought...

Tommy said...

Ron - "I'm glad you resolved that problem" Well, we still don't have the part though.

Ya, as far as the Honda goes...it's been an absolutely great realiable car. It just picked a VERY bad time in my state of mind to decide to give us it's first problem.

We went out to dinner with friends last night and we had them in hysterics with all that's been boing wrong lately..:-(

TC [Girl] said...

Hey, Tommy...glad you got the light question solved. What came to my mind was some sort of nylon piece of "thread" (sort of like the fiber optics technology) that you just left part of in the fridge and slammed the door on it and left another part of it hanging out. I'm thinking the light would probably have "traveled" through that. :-)

And...I guess I need to read further w/your fridge problem. I had a dishwasher, once, w/a timer on it. LOVED it and then we had to move! :-( And...when this one (A Maytag. It's TRUE what they say about their stuff living "forever"!) conked out, it ended up being something that could be replaced (Darn it! I was HOPING to replace it and get a NEW one WITH a timer! lol! I just found it kind of GROSS to have to start out in our new home w/someone else's dishwasher! lol!) and the repairman said that it is approximately 17 years old!!!!!!!

Ooohh and guess what else we had to replace, just before summer: our heat pump system! That was no small chunk of change, either! :-(

Sorry to hear about your car! After trying to "support" "American made," by buying a Pontiac van, it ended up falling apart by year 6 (and, 4 years later, I'm STILL having to "hobble" it!)!! NEVER AGAIN! I'll be buying Honda or Toyota, next time! :-/

Hope things have gotten better, since this time! :-)

LOL: captcha: ovenes!! Yes...I know the spelling isn't quite right but...while we're on the subject (appliances), this is what I am wishing to replace, for Christmas: my OVEN! :-D (cross your fingers for me! ;-) Another thing that I've been "hobbling" for almost 7 years, now! :-(