Friday, March 12, 2010

Up on the Walkway

This past weekend I was up on the Walkway Bridge volunteering. The picture below is one that I took of a train that was going by. Look at how long it was, you can see it sort of bending around the shoreline and then continuing out of sight around the bend. I was impressed with the length of it. You can click on the picture to see a slightly larger image.



I was there because Parks people had gone to get training, so several us simply covered the bridge is case anyone needed any help, etc. So while I was doing this I used a measuring wheel and measured out the span in tenths of miles. It seems that Fred (Chairman of the Walkway Over the Hudson organization) had been asked several times from visitors to the bridge for this information. They simply wanted to know how far they were walking. We always knew that the total span, gate to gate was 1.28 miles long, but unless you go all the way there was no way of know what distance you had traveled.

So there I was measuring away and chatting with folks that would stop me to talk or ask about my task. One couple I remember well because as they approached me, he simply asked, “what you got so far?” Without missing a beat I replied, “sore feet”. I thought they were going to fall off of the bridge, they were laughing so hard. :-)

I knew something from volunteering there last fall and it is really just growing stronger. I really love being up on the bridge and interacting with the people there. You see, there is no tension or bad vibes up there. Everyone is there to just have a good time. People are walking, jogging, bike riding, pushing baby carriages, just all sorts. The thing that amazes me is that everyone is taking with each other. Even the tough looking kids are just moving along and talking.

Seeing everyone in that state of mind is just wonderful, because it’s so easy to smile and to get others to do the same. I have sort of befriended a guy named Don, who worked volunteered as a fireman for some 57 years. He feels exactly the same way that I do about the bridge and its effect on people.

Please get away and come for a walk or bike ride with me. You won’t be sorry that you did, it’s just fun and the views are spectacular.

No comments: