Saturday, May 8, 2010

It's Mother's Day Tomorrow

Every year Mother's Day comes rolling around. For the very vast majority, it's a time to reflect and celebrate how wonderful their mother has been in their lives. Well, for me it's a day of frustration. This frustration actually comes in two flavors; my mother and my wife.

You see my mother and I have never been close. From those early informative years I lived somewhere else and she has a family background that doesn't allow her to get close. Ya, I understand that she was married (for about a year) and had a son (me), but that doesn't tell the whole story. So let's just say that there hasn't ever been a lot of love passed back and forth between us. So, now Mother's Day comes along and what am I to do? Extole my great love for her, when she never taught my how to love? Bestow all sorts of gifts on her? Nope, it's usually it's simply flowers, which she always claims are the best that she's ever gotten before. Yadda, Yadda, you get the picture that Mother's Day has never been at the top of the list for me. As a side note, Father's Day is a joke because I never had a father in my life.

From my observations, it's obvious to me that my wife has always enjoyed and celebrated Mother's Day. Enter me into her life as a second marriage and the frustration starts. I don't like Mother's Day, but if I don't do something for her she gets mad at me. I mean I don't even like doing anything with my own mother and here my wife wants me to celebrate it with her and she's not even my mother! Its kind of like that old saying; being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

On a brighter side, Happy Mother's Day Everyone.

No comments: