Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Best Friend

Today while I was driving around a thought came to mind. One which comes to mind quite often, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

You see, I had this good friend that I worked with at big blue. After both of us had left the company our friendship continued in several ways. I started my computer consulting business and discovered that he had his own computer business as well. We soon started working a lot together. Actually he was a great mentor to me, helping me in any way that he could. Besides our business relationship we our friendship blossomed. When at big blue we were simply business associates but thereafter we became good friends.

Several years ago he developed a brain tumor and quickly started going downhill. After one of his episodes, I was driving him to an appointment and he said something to me that has made such an impact on my thinking about friendship and relationships. He told me that I was his best friend.

To that day, I had only had one friend that I would have called my best friend and that was when I was in high school. Since then there has just been no-one that I could truly trust and rely on to always be there for me, as well as I for them.

I think that Mike was the best and kindest person that I honestly have ever known. He would have taken his shirt off and given it to you while asking how many more you needed.

I really miss him and I guess that's why he comes to mind as often as he does. So is that a good thing or a bad thing, I'm really not sure..

8 comments:

Mark said...

I think it's a good thing. I think about him a lot too, whether something at work just reminds me of him or I work on or move an old machine that he built for us and it all comes back. He was a great guy.

Tommy said...

Yes, he was Mark. Thanks.

maidar said...

OF COURSE IT IS A GOOD THING THAT YOU THINK OF HIM OFTEN!
That is what a best friend does!
I too have a difficult time trusting, and therefore, only have 3 people I call my best friemds!
MY FRIEND MARY WHO HAS BEEN IN MY LIFE SINCE KINDEERGARTEN, My significant other for 3 years, Jack. And Number 3 is my childhood friend,( I'm leaving it up to YOU to guess who that might be!!

Tommy said...

Maidar - "MY FRIEND MARY"

That name rings a note somewhere. Do you think I would have met her when we were young. Did the three of us play together?

maidar said...

I am sure you met her often! When I was not playing with you, I would be with Mary! Her full maiden name was Mary Dzerkas! Now she goes as Zocchi! Hey were is the spell check? My brain is fried!

Tommy said...

What the heck is wrong with Smith, Jones or something else easy.. ;-)

Anonymous said...

How about Robarge? Sort of easy!

maidar said...

How about Robarge? Sort of easy!