Saturday, November 29, 2014

Writing Class

I started taking a beginners writing class at a local community college. It's based on a book called "I Remember" written by a Joe Brainard. The book is literally full of small paragraphs starting with the statement, I Remember. One of mine is:

I remember my first car.
It was a 1958 Ford Fairlane 500.

There are 167 pages of these little memory statements in the book. Very interesting reading.

For each of the first few classes we simply wrote and shared 10 of these. We now have selected one and are expanding it into an essay, having a maximum of 500 words. I wrote my first piece and had to cut it down to this, a challenge indeed. We bring this into class and share it everyone. They, including the instructor, then give feedback on the writing, both positive and negative. You then take those comments and work on your essay for the next class. My essay is based on "I remember my worst day in high school. I got suspended, had an accident in my mother’s car, and then the federal notification came."

In a little bit, I'll share that writing (version 1) with you. My first attempt.

No comments: